"Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
Mental Health and Wellness
Tip of the Month
Feeling scattered and agitated? Here are some strategies:
1. Most importantly, don’t panic. It may feel as if you’ll never get it all done, but you will. Maybe not in the time frame that you had hoped for. But, if you’ve made a commitment and you’re a responsible person, trust that you will get it done.
2. Practice mindfulness. Be in touch with your thoughts and feelings, without judging yourself. I know, this is not easy to do. Still, aim to become fully aware of what’s happening now rather than ruminating about the past or worrying about the future.
3. Decide what’s most important for you to do RIGHT NOW. You can’t do everything at once so be mindful of your present energy level. Maybe what you need to do right now is to have lunch. Maybe it’s tackling the tough task; maybe the easy task. You be the judge.
4. Minimize distractions by turning off your phone and other electronic devices. This means no e-mail, no texts, no social media, no TV, no Internet. Wow! Without all those potential distractions, you may find that you have plenty of time to do what needs to be done. Diversions are so much a part of our lives that we don’t appreciate how much time they gobble up.
5. Turn big intimidating tasks into smaller, less threatening ones. Instead of overwhelming yourself by looking at the whole panorama of tasks in front of you, divide the tasks into smaller, doable bits. That way, they’ll be easier to tackle.
6. Encourage and support yourself. Tell yourself, “I can do this.” I made this phone call; only two more to go. I wrote two paragraphs; I’m on a roll. Good for me; I am focused. I will meet my goals. I feel pride in my progress; joy in my accomplishments.
Crystal Hartman Counselling
(403) 381 - 6000 239 12B Street North, Lethbridge, AB Hours: Monday - Wednesday 5pm - 9pm, Friday 1pm - 4pm
Welcome! It would be my honour to assist you in improving your mental health and wellness.
I provide counselling services to individual and couples.